Monday was a very eventful day. On the B-Street Schooner wreck site divers completed an orientation dive, becoming familiar with the site and its layout. They also replaced the measuring tape on the baseline, securing it in regular intervals with zip ties. In addition, students filled 20 sandbags with sterile sand found offsite in preparation for future unit dredging. Teams also practiced baseline offsets and mapped out the stern of the vessel.
|(Wooden comb and brass straight pin.)|
On Thursday, one group of students performed target dives around Pensacola Bay, while another group carried out dredging operations on a unit in the amidships of EPII. Matt Gifford, David Hodo, and I were the first dive team in the water at EPII and were responsible for setting up the dredge for the day. Unfortunately, very low visibility made communication slower and more difficult than usual between us as we made our preparations. After making our beginning measurements of the excavation unit below baseline, we began setting up the dredge. After that was complete, we gave the signal to start the dredge. However, we soon realized that the dredge was not getting suction and bad visibility made it difficult to communicate this fact to my supervisor. As soon as communication was established, I was able to swim off along the exhaust hose to identify the problem, which turned out to be a kinked hose. As soon as I corrected the problem and made my way to the dredge head to begin dredging, it was time to end the dive. Sometimes bad conditions can really slow operations down.